Reigning Formula V8 3.5 champion Tom Dillmann will make his Formula E race debut with Venturi in Paris next month, replacing team regular Maro Engel.
The Frenchman will join up with fellow countryman Stephane Sarrazin at their home race, which takes place along the streets of the French capital on 20 May. The sixth round of the 2016-17 Formula E campaign clashes with Engel’s Mercedes DTM commitments at the Lausitz on the same weekend.
Dillmann has already made a Formula E appearance for Venturi this year, having driven during Friday shakedown in Mexico City last month while Sarrazin was travelling back from WEC duties with Toyota. The 28-year-old, who also tested for Team Aguri at Donington ahead of season two, says he aims to secure a full-time Formula E drive for the 2017-18 season.
“I’m delighted with having the chance of contesting the race in France as Venturi’s reserve driver,” Dillmann said in a team statement. “Formula E is an exciting place to be for a driver. It goes without saying that it’s my goal to contest a full season in this series, in the future.”
Venturi co-owner Marc Gindorf added: “Tom already impressed us with his professionalism in Mexico where he intensely dealt with the team and the approach of the engineers. This will prove to be helpful for him in Paris. We think that he represents our perfect choice for this race.”
According to Autosport, Venturi was considering McLaren F1 junior Nyck de Vries as Engel’s Paris substitute. The Formula 2 rookie worked as a Spark Technologies test driver in 2014 and 2015 and has completed significant mileage in Formula E machinery.
Staff writer: Lewis Larkam